Kelly and I took a great little trip this past weekend - just the two of us. It was great fun and so darn beautiful!
We flew from Idaho Falls to Los Angeles and drove north up the Pacific Coast Highway to Monterey and returned the same way to fly home.
It was a great driving vacation. I keep teasing Kelly that we are officially old - what an old person's trip! We drove to see the scenery!! Ha! But we loved it - so yep - we're old.
Following are the most pictures of Kelly and I that I have ever put on this blog! There is not a child in a one of them!! : ) So proceed with caution --- senior citizen blog headed your way!
One of the spots that Kelly really wanted to see along the way was "Hearst Castle" a huge 169 room 65,000 square foot mansion that was built in the 1920's by newspaper man William Randolph Hearst. It was amazing! It is now a California state park and really quite something to see.
I really didn't know what to expect and wasn't that enthusiastic to see a big house, until we rounded a bend and I said - "What's that on the top of that mountain?' Kelly said -"Hearst Castle!" I suddenly started to realize the magnitude of the "big house".
You can't drive right to the mansion - you take a bus ride and tour from the main road.
Kelly's favorite spots at the castle were the pools. The Neptune pool below - which you might recognize, it is pretty famous - and the Roman pool above that was crazy awesome.
View from one of the balconies to the ocean.
We also got to see a lot of Monetery while we were there and walk around Cannery Row. Pretty cool.
Every turn in the road on the PCH has a view like this. I couldn't believe it! We stopped a lot!
One of the coolest places - the waterfall. Just a beautiful cove with a waterfall falling into it. There used to be a house on this spot in the 1920's - but just the foundation is left now.
Went for a walk on Malibu beach on our last night there. It was fabulous.








Awesome pics!! I remember that exact drive from when we were at Travis AFB and we drove down the coast to Vandenburg AFB. Absolutely gorgeous, right??? Like you're in another world!! I am so glad you guys got a trip!! Love Ya,
ReplyDeleteJennie
PS Happy Birthday to the OTHER OLD MAN!!
So so fun! It is beautiful! I'm so glad you guys were able to take a trip just the two of you. :)
ReplyDelete